- Medicine Name: Fexinidazole
- Generic Name: Fexinidazole
- Dosage Form & Strength: Tablets: 600 mg
- Manufactured By: Drugs for Neglected Diseases Initiative
Fexinidazole is a nitroimidazole antimicrobial, used for the treatment of both first-stage (hemolymphatic) and second-stage (meningoencephalitic) human African trypanosomiasis (HAT) due to Trypanosoma brucei gambiense in those aged 6 years and older and weighing at least 20 kg.
Due to the decreased efficacy observed in those with severe second-stage HAT (cerebrospinal fluid WBC count (CSF-WBC) >100 cells/µL) due to T. brucei gambiense disease, Fexinidazole should only be used in these patients if there are no other existing treatment options.
Recommended Dosage: Fexinidazole tablets are intended to be administered once daily for a total of days (loading + maintenance dose) with food each day at about the same time of the day. Neither break nor crush the tablets. The recommended dosage of Fexinidazole for patients aged 6 years and older and weighing at least 20 kg is as per body weight.
The recommended daily dose for body weight greater than or equal to 35 kg:
- Loading dose: 1,800 mg (3 tablets of 600 mg daily) for 4 days
- Maintenance dose: 1,200 mg (2 tablets of 600 mg daily) for 6 days
The recommended daily dose for body weight greater than or equal to 20 kg to less than 35 kg:
- Loading dose: 1,200 mg (2 tablets of 600 mg daily) for 4 days
- Maintenance dose: 600 mg (1 tablet of 600 mg daily) for 6 days
In case the first event of puking occurs after taking pills of Fexinidazole, do not re-dose. Take the next dose the following day considering the recommended treatment schedule. In case a scheduled dose is missed (not taken on the assigned day), resume normal dosing the following day until the complete course (10 days) of treatment has been completed.
All Trademarks and Brands that appear on the website belong to their respective owners and indianpharmanetwork does not lay any claim on them we only provide Information.